In the sealing room, it was nice to look around and know that all these people have a deep love for this marvelous couple.
The sealer was a man of plain words, which I appreciated. He didn't get off track by quoting poetry or retelling long story. He just reviewed the wording of the sealing ordinance, which was a good to hear. The one part that I didn't quite understand was his whole analysis of the word "unto." The sealer stated that the word "unto" implied a sense of obligation and duty, as opposed to ownership. But then the word "to" was used in another portion of the sealing, which made me question why the wording wasn't the same in both instances. As always, the sealer was a gentleman of advanced age. I'm guessing he was in his late 70's or early 80's. And his speech was very, well, patriarchal. Not entirely in an annoying way, but enough to make me squirm a little. He talked a lot about the husband's duty to financially support his wife and children. And I kept wondering why this was a one-way street. Isn't it possible for this to be a shared responsibility? Much as raising children and caring for a household can be a shared responsibility? He must not have known a lot about the couple at hand if he was telling Wry-an about his financial duty. I wonder if the patriarchal-ness of most sealers is a generational thing, and that this way of thinking will ease into something less patriarchal and more eternal marriage-ish.
After the sealing, we waited for the obligatory greeting outside of the temple. Wry-an and Georgia Peach looked fantastic in their wedding duds ... especially Goergia Peach with her fancy red sandals! Took a bunch of photos, and dispersed. I opted not to go with Bossman, Perky, et al for food, but found myself driving to the mall anyway to search for some new shoes (my own shoes were killing me!), and another bottle of Angel perfume (since I'd left my own miniscule bottle at home, and I don't like to dance without some on). I was rather dubious of finding anything good at the ZCMI mall, but decided that i couldn't live with the pain of my shoes any longer.When I'd finally found parking and gotten inside, I was elated to find that there was a Macy's. Then I was deflated to find that the store was being liquidated. Apparently there is just not enough business in downtown Salt Lake City (or indeed anywhere in Utah) to keep a Macy's around. Of course, this meant that all the perfume and cosmetics had been cleared out long ago and sent to other Macy's locations. And when I got down to the shoes section, there was nothing that I was tempted to buy. I kept hoping that something would turn up, but it was not meant to be,
So, I limped back to my car and headed back to JLITH's to take a nap before the ring ceremony. As I left SLC, I drove past where the on-line map had said the Rice Eccles stadium was. And I saw nothing that resembled a stadium, or even anything remotely resembling a Tower, which was where the reception was being held. And I started tot get a very bad feeling.
Back at the house, I got on-line again and looked for the RE Stadium Towers. I looked past the first entry on google, and tried the second. And I was stunned. Who would have ever thought that Wry-an, a true-blue, dyed to the ears BYU fan would ever celebrate his wedding at the University of Utah? I was boggled. Then rushed ... how was I ever going to make it out to Sugarhouse in time? Nap time forgotten, I jumped in my car and started the long-ish haul out to Sugarhouse.
When I got to the University, it was getting dark. Used to the money-grabbing parking policies of Californian universities, I wandered around looking for non-permitted parking. I had almost given up, when I found a parking lot for the bookstore. Parked there and started the hike out to the Towers. Had to go back to my car two times for forgotten things. When I finally made it to the parking attendant's hutch, I decided to inquire if I was in the right spot. No, I wasn't. I needed to move over to the stadium parking lot, because this lot was going to close before the reception ended. So I manuevered back to my car. When I drove past the hutch, the same guy came out and told me that, because it was before 1800, I'd need to park at a metered parking space, or else I'd risk getting a ticket (and have to come back the next day to pay, yadda yadda). I thanked him, and revved the car. I was already late.
Finally (after driving all the way around the stadium due to one-way roads), I pulled into the correct parking lot. And was almost at the point of tears when I realized that the metered parking was a long way from the entrance to the towers. Telling myself to ignore my throbbing feet, I parked, remembered to take all my things, and finally made it to the ring ceremony, which I'd missed entirely.
The dinner was really nice. Not porcelain-plates-and crystal goblets nice ... everything we ate with was disposable. However, the centerpieces were pretty and whimsical, the food was tasty, and the entertainment was marvelous. All of the immediate family (plus Bossman) stood up and had their say, and Georgia Peach's siblings even sang a specially written, farsical piece that one of the brothers played on the guitar. All in all, the dinner was a success.
As the sun went down, the reception started. Wry-an and Georgia Peach got pulled into a receiving line ... pity, since I knew that they didn't actually want to do it, but were bowing to the requests of the parents. And the rest of us were left to reminice and admire the beautiful view of SLC at night.At last, the receiving line was terminated, and the newly wed couple were allowed to have their first dance. Georgia Peach and her dad then did a lively dance to, "Brown Eyed Girl," and then everyone else joined in. I had long ago kicked off my shoes, but they were still throbbing, so I contented myself with just watching.
Left the festivities about 2100, after wishing them both very well. Then drove out to the MAC, changed my clothes, and settled in for some real dancing. Utah Swing Ambassador (wih whom I danced the most lovely nightclub two step), Foosball Enthusiast, and Little Eastwood were the specials of the night. I also did a few charity dances, which I expect, and generally enjoy if the lead is at least congenial. Then again, I'm sure that there are some who would consider me their charity dance, so I can't be too high on myself. Anyway, it's always good to get some dances in at the MAC
And now, for some more youtube goodies!
West Coast Swing
I love the foot slides in this piece, and that slow movement the follow does after the partial tuck turn.
I love this clip because of the roll the follow does on the lead's right leg. It's fabulous. The glove, I concede, is not.
This is another good Jordan and Tatiana clip. They're so smooth, and have so many of those little physical witty interpretations which I just love. And, I think it's a Jack and Jill competition, mainly because of the the way the competitors are lined up in the back. If it was a Jack and Jill, what incredible luck to be paired together!
Night Club Two Step
This isn't my favorite clip ... just seems like they're trying too hard to be smooth that they aren't smooth enough. However, the slip does allow you to see the NCTW basic, which is fairly simple.
And lastly, I love everything about these dancers. They are so smooth, and each movement is clean, graceful and easy. The only thing I don't exactly love is the lead's hand movements, but it must be a part of the NCTS genre, so I won't complain too loudly.
3 comments:
Charity dances? Ouch.
perfect reporting. Loved having you there. a near perfect day
Yes, charity dances. What goes around, comes around.
A near perfect day? I can see where getting stuck in the receiving line wasn't perfect. We were so glad that Georgia Peach's brother cut it off so you could have your dances!
Post a Comment