Spork was over last night ... ostensibly to tape a goodbye video to grandma. We didn't get nearly that far! He ended up writing it out, and translating it over the phone with mom. However, when it came time to tape, he decided to wait until the next night so that he could rehearse, and make it as coherent as possible. We agreed to meet at his work to tape it before I left for Salt Lake to do the deed, and he went on his merry way.
The next day, after finishing work, and resigning myself to the fact that I wasn't going to be able to go dancing after the taping, I headed up to Burbank. I called Spork when I got off the freeway, and we chatted until I made my way to the parking lot. Had to go through two security stations and three sets of elevators before I made it to him. I should have left the tripod in the car, but I thought it would be good to bring it along to get the best images. Oops! The dyed-redhair security guard was immediately on alert, and "escourted" me up to the Penthouse. Asked why I had equipment, and I easily told her. She seemed to believe me, but was still disquieted. Obviously she took her job very seriously. Well, we finally got up to Spork's floor. Turned the corner out of the elvator lobby, and ... "Boo!" Out popped my little brother from behind a door! I don't know who was more surprised, me, Red, or Spork! After a brief pause and some mumbled apologies (and stiffled laughter on my part), Red questioned my brother about his "activities." Apparently we were not supposed to do any unauthorised filming, but after hearing (again) that our purpose was to say goodbye to our dying grandmother in Japan, she overcame her reservations. Red still cautioned us to use only the conference room, and enquired after Spork's boss, but she left us alone.
Spork's message was simple and endearing. He recalled old memories and expressed love and appreciation in that charming way of his. I sometimes forget how good his Japanese is, a result of having spent the most time in Japan and California with Yuki grandma. I also saw how closely his features recall my father's at that young age. I think that Spork is having the hardest time with her illness ... partly because he has never experienced grief before, and partly because I think he struggles with a belief in the immortality of the soul and eternal progression. We'd spoken about it briefly the night before, but it takes more than a few words to work these things through. I hope that when he's ready to talk about it again, that he'll come to one of us.
Thursday, June 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment