Friday, June 17, 2005

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

What did Darcy say? "Every savage can dance." Foolish man. The point isn't just to dance, but to dance well! Exception being if you're a beginner ... and you've got it made, because there's no way that you won't end up being better than you started.

It's like a 3 minute date every time I step out onto the floor. I'm mostly a mid-tempo gal, but I must admit that sometimes it's so fantastic to do a really uptempo song with a solid lead. With some of my partners, I just know it's going to be good ... an exploration into the stretch and sway of music and body. With others I know it's going to be, well, not good. However, every beginner needs to dance with better dancers if they're ever going to get better, so I'm glad to do my part. And with some it's a total wildcard; when asked, I just smile and say, "Sure!"

Well, I've been doing lindy-hop for about 7 years. It's so addictive! Started with east coast swing, and couldn't get enough. Thank you to JuS. and AbH for getting those Saturday groups together at the Institute. Started going to the Derby, and was converted to the beauty of Hollywood style lindy. So smooth, sexy and complex! Again, thanks to WKun, GQ, MLQ, Stevo and DeP. THEN Deb and LiG got me into semi-private lessons with Erik and Sylvia and it seemed like swing Nirvana! Ultimate Hollywood style with some Bal-swing thrown in. Deb, LiG, Pea, Lenny, Victor, and Guy (that's not really his name, but I can't remember what it is right now).

Made the shift to groove dancing when Lindy Groove was born. My dancing loves now include Vic, Eric, Charles, Clint, Mark and Julius ... with an especially soft spot for MaB from Vegas. Anyway, I love Lindy Groove! Fantastic floor, all levels of dancers, and it's the only place where I can dance with a 16 year old and a 60 year old in the same night. Love it.

But don't think that the dancing exploration is over yet! Tried some west coast swing on my last trip to SLC (thank you B, J and the Murray Arts Center for making it so fun), and it may be my next new direction. Already Gwyn and I are planning a foray into the wild world of west coast!

Hello, my name is Dora, and I'm a dancing maniac. And thankfully so!

1 comment:

Jahn said...

I can't even remember the last time I went dancing. But I do remember it was swing.