Saturday, July 02, 2005

Looking for Fun in Salt Lake






Woke up early this morning, despite having been out late dancing the night before. *Really* tried to reenter the world of dreams, but the gate was barred.

The heat is still oppressive here in SLC. We're basically living in the basement whenever we're in the house. I know that everyone consoles themselves by saying, "At least it's a dry heat," but the phrase has no comfort for me now!

J came over, and hung out for a bit. It was nice to finally put a name to a face. J's just the type of cool, entertaining and nice (although I hate to use the word) kind of guy to whom I can talk for hours, without nerves or drama, which we did. The four of us (JLITH and Bork came along) drove up to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to see The Testaments. At first glance, I felt like we had stumbled into an old John Wayne movie ... all the principle actors were caucasian people "painted" to look like Nephites/Lamanites, while all the extras were noticeably ethnic! Also, the love story was rather predictable, and the dialogue less than inspiring. However, the production values were so good, the music stirring, and the scenery so pleasing to the eye, that even I got caught up in it, and maybe shed a tear or two, especially in the scenes where the Saviour appeared.

Back at JLITH's house, Bork and I tried again to send the video clips to Tomi-chan in Japan so that we can our goodbyes to my mother's mother. It's so frustrating ... knowing that Yuki-grandma is so sick, trying desperately to get our messages to her, and falling just short of the mark.

In the afternoon, Scout came and picked me up. We drove out to South Jordan, and he showed me the house where he grew up. As a child, it was strictly farmland as far as he could see. Now, highways and stores are all too visible, and power/telephone lines mar the impressive view of the mountains. His mother just recently sold the property to developers, and the place will be levelled after she moves in 6 months. Scout showed me the irrigation ditches and "gates" which I learned about earlier in Mike Davis' Utopian Societies of the West class. Also saw some 19th century farm equipment, a WWII era functioning truck, and the well! Scout said that he grew up on well water, and that the house got hooked up to "city water" within the last decade.

We then met up with some of Scout's friends. I almost laughed, it was like being in a "Stages of Dating" montage! There was Scout and I, the Just-Friends couple. Then S and E, the Engaged couple, visiting from Ohio. Lastly there was T and K, the Married-for 10-Years-with-4-Kids couple. It could have been awkward ... but it wasn't. Everyone was so friendly and eager to be friends.

We drove out to Silver lake. I actually have no idea where it is, but it took a drive deep into a canyon, and a 30 minutes of bumping over unpaved road to reach this little jewel of a lake. Of course, once there, S came to the realization of what was for dinner. The assignments had been clear: T to bring the cannoes and BBQ, Scout to bring dessert and drinks, and everything else for S. Well, S brought the chicken and ...... and the pot in which was marinading in! No plates, utensils, napkins, veggies or bread, etc! Ended up using pliers and fingers to cook the chicken, and the pot lid as our only plate. Luckily, Scout had brought up canned soda and pre-cut cheesecake, or we would have been swigging from a liter bottle and using who-knew-what to cut the cake!

The lake was, as previously stated, lovely. As we glided the surface, the only sounds I heard was my occassional laugh, and the sound of water rolling off the paddles. The mosquitoes were out in force, but for once I was not a target, thanks to K's preparedness. She'd brought up drier sheets, which we wiped all over our skin ... I was dubious, but it worked like a charm! Much better than DEET! Watched birds, the stately snow-capped peaks, a beaver, a gorgeous sunset, and bashful stars appear in all their glory.

Just before it got too dark, we started a fire ... with help from some obliging departers who gave us some newspaper and wood. Staring into the fire, we huddled together for warmth as we talked about anything and everything.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I didn't realize you had a blog. I see you on linkup from time to time, I believe. cool.