In a remorseful mood, I spent most of the day studying. I am so bad at self-motivated study. I'm pretty good when taking classes, but it's hard to stay excited and devoted about hitting the books when it's just me. Anyway, I put my shoulder to the wheel and logged in some quality time. When I finally surfaced for air, it was too late to go down for DOT.
Instead, I went over to the Santa Monica Stake Center for the summer dancing series. The singles wards are teaming up and having dance lessons on Wednesday nights throughout the summer. And eventhough I'm a bit older and not a beginner, I decided to check it out. I'm always up for supporting people learning to dance.
Plus, it was a good way to break in my new Aris Allen shoes. They're wonderful! They don't pinch, have a a padded insole, are secure, and have the most wonderful leather soles. I admit I was a bit skeptical when I saw some dancers wearing them a year ago, but I'm a convert now. Although I did scuff the soles on the concrete a bit ... falling flat on one's face on a slippery dance floor qualifies as public humiliation, and is stridently avoided.
The teachers taught an easy east coast lesson. Basic. Two turns. Abbreviated ("whoa!") inside turn. Cuddle move with peekaboos. Travelling follow turns in front of the lead. And a lift. I probably wouldn't have taught the lift. I don't think it's appropriate in beginner lessons. But I think everyone had a lot of fun. I started leading for about a millisecond, but more guys showed up, and we were about even the entire night.
I think it's fabulous that they are organizing this event. Partner dancing is such a good way to meet other people, use your social conversational skills, and be active. Besides, as I keep telling the guys I know: girls love to dance, and smart guys learn how to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment