Down to Irvine for The Connexxion, a combined Lindy/West Coast Swing weekend. Gale force winds. Just about like the day a wild shopping cart furiously rammed into my car in the Costco parking lot and, to say the least, left a mark.
Anyway, WCS. Have been becoming more and more enamoured of it. It's fun, slower and less impact bearing than lindy, and definitely more "grown-up." Turn out for the event was rather small, with an extremely small lindy population. I don't think that Eileen and Teveya played to their strengths when it came to PR.
Took a WCS class from Benji and Lacey Schwimmer. Finally learned to do those illusion turns that I loved from the SYTYCD Black Mambo routine (skip the judges' commentary at the end).
As I was chatting with Darring between classes, trying to decide where to go to next, Steve, of Steve and Heidi came and cajoled us to come to his advanced Balboa class. Smart move on his part, since we were two of four people in his class. Anyway, it was like a private lesson. Both Darring and I were boggled by the change in footwork emphasis. We were basically trying to overcome eight years of bad habits in one hour. Steve and Heidi recently moved back to LA from the Bay Area. Steve is one of the most interesting competitors to watch, and I'm glad he'll be around.
Last class was Groove It Or Lose It with Myles Monroe and Tessa Cunningham. Lots of fun. This is the element of dancing that I'm most comfortable with. Much as I like to watch competitions, it's the subtleties and improvisations of social dancing (or even Jack and Jill competitions) that inspire me.
Myles and Tessa Swing Diego routine ~ a choreographed routine. It's impressive and innovative, but sometimes doesn't seem to flow exactly well.
Benji and Tatianna: Jack and Jill ~ love how the "led" moves can look so seamlessly choreographed.
Myles and Tessa: slow routine ~ I have no idea what context this dance was in, but I love it. Lots of flow and musicality, with not as much of the highly stylized and weird competition gesticulating.
Myles and Tessa: freestyle ~ again, on-the-spot dancing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment