Monday, March 06, 2006

Street-bourne again


Alas, my love-affair with public transport has ended. My father found, bargained for, and helped me get my new Love Bug (a corolla). It's not my dream car, but then again, I didn't have an extra $46,000 lying around with which to purchase a new Lexus hybrid SUV. Anyway, my new car is fantastic, gets great mileage, and is paid for, which makes it dreamy in a real-world way that is indisputable. During the fifteen days I was carless, I did the following:

~ walked about eight miles to and from bus stops
~ rode the metro buses twelve times
~ rode the red line subway once
~ rode the Valley orange line once
~ drove Wonder Woman's car about 150 miles (mostly on one day)
~ walked through the rain three times
~ walked by five homeless people
~ sat next to one person on the bus who was so pungent that I had to move
~ waited a little over three hours for buses that either did and didn't arrive with some degree of promptness.

And yes, I did other things. Thanks to Perky, White Boy and BFF for driving me to fun things; and thanks to everyone who came to play Catan during my carlessness (and thanks to Wonder Woman for organizing).

So, until the next time (and if it never comes, I'll be happy), I'll say au revoir to my sometimes-lover, the MTA.

No comments: