The other day, I was contemplating the development of an old acquaintanceship. I'm working on a project with someone who I never expected to spend much time with. And I'm enjoying it. At a time when my circle of single and available (for fun times) friends contracts, the remaining friends become more valuable. Sort of sad, but very true. Anyway, as I was contemplating and thinking what I would write if I were disposed to, I suddenly had a Carrie moment. My living room morphed into a NYC apartment, and suddenly I was typing on a mac in front of a window, wearing a curly blonde wig. Okay, maybe not the wig, but I did see the words type out in the form of a question on a blue screen.
I used to love watching Sex and the City on HBO, back when we had it. It seemed to address so many of the issues we all had as single, professional women living in a large city: friendships, competition, dating, and disfunctional men. The writing was clever and pertinent. It added to our vocabularies in the same way that Seinfeld did ... modelizer and Mr. Big to name a couple telling terms. I never fully identified with any specific character, but I did find pieces of myself in each of the four major characters:
Carrie: Creative, artistic, everyone's best friend.
Samantha: older, aggressive, sexual
Charlotte: pampered, socialite, traditional
Miranda: ambitious, brilliant, repressed
Anyway, to make a long story short, I quit watching a while ago because the show was just too graphic. I don't like movies with gratuitous nudity or sex, so why take it on the small screen? A few years ago, they wrapped up the show, and that was that. Or so I thought. Edited episodes from TNT and the WB have been popping up on tivo, only 30-40 minutes long. And they're fun, if looking a little outdated because of all the flamboyant outfits. To parody a friend of Perky's, they could rename it Dating in the City ...
As for myself? Well, dating is one of those things that I haven't really discussed on this blog, and I don't really plan to. Especially my contemporary dating habits. For myriad reasons. It's just such an ephermereal thing to put into such a concrete format. Anyway, suffice to say that every once in a while I get the equivalent of an appetizer to prevent starvation as I anticipate the main course.
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I watched a few episodes of SITC, and it did nothing for me. I thought it a bit trite and even boring. But I'm also not used to TV shows--not having had a TV for many years--so perhaps that was my problem???
Yes, you have a big problem ... being married for 12+ years to your sweetheart, and having two genius children. I should be so cursed.
Post a Comment