So, Madwoman and Ni-chan put a counter on the Exponent II group blog, to track visitors: how many, entrance and exit sites, return versus new visitors, etc etc. Surprisingly, we're getting anywhere from 200 to 500 hits per day. Of course, some are just me obsessively checking to see if anyone's commented on my pieces, but in an attempt to dis-skew the numbers, I've stopped doing this.
Until recently, I've been comforted by the thought that my personal blog is not easy to find. I've only given the site out to a few friends and family, and who else would actually be interested? Last year, an internet acquaintance (we'll call him Bob) on ldslinkup asked me about my blog. I told him it was mainly for close friends and family, and politely declined to give him the info. As soon as I sent that email, I performed several searches to see if I could "find" me on-line, and was very relieved that I couldn't. Anyway, Bob also did some searching for my blog. Interestingly enough, IT consultant though he was, he couldn't find my blog either ... until he found me on Jahn's blogroll. When he told me about it, I felt very exposed; not only because I was specifically writing my blog for a defined population, but also because I didn't have a similar way to learn more about him. Whatever happened to Bob? Well, I occassionally see him posting on linkup, but our correspondence fizzled out soon after the above episode. I sometimes wonder if he follows my blog, but not enough to actually resume contact.
Anyway, I decided to set up a counter on my own blog. It's been pleasantly surprising to learn who is following my blog. It's rare that people leave posted comments, (which makes me a little sad) but every once in a while I learn in conversation or via email that they've read or connected with a certain post (which makes me happy). When I checked my counter today, I found out that several of the OC crowd, some family, and an unknown from Provo have checked me out since Thursday. I have several theories on who Provo is, but they're just speculations (you could always leave a comment and just tell me who you are). And, before you get too paranoid and stop visiting, I'll admit that the counter just gives me the internet host name, and not your actual name. However, with all this information, it makes the kafuffle with Google and the DOJ a bit more relevant.
The DOJ, in requesting data on internet searches, is trying to resurrect an online child protection law by showing that we need stronger internet filters to prevent children from finding porn and other inappropriate info. All of the other major search engines in the US have capitulated to DOJ requests for info, but Google is still holding out. The ACLU has come out on the side of Google, but even Google has said that it's position has to do more with trade secrets and the overbroad nature of the request. Then again, if Google weren't aggregating streams of information on searches performed, it wouldn't have the info to withhold from the DOJ in the first place. Personally, I'm not as concerned over internet searches as I am the contents of my email communication, which i do via gmail. The immediate question is how far does the right to privacy go compared to the need to protect the young. The looming questions in the background are how much information on our personal lives is out there, who has access to it, and how can it be used for and against us.
Anyway, with all of this, I hope you do return and visit my blog. A comment or two would be nice, but I won't force the issue ... anymore. Arrivederci!
Saturday, February 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Uh-oh... I can take you off my Blogroll if you want. Just let me know.
WRT Google and the DOJ,
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human rights. It is the motto of tyrants. It is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt
No worries ... now that I can tell where people are logging in from. Who else do you know in Atlanta? And, are you in Utah now? I'm planning on being in SLC for 5 days over conference.
I hardly know anyone in the Atlanta area. One former missionary and Muad'Dib. I really wish I could make it out there for Conference. :-( But I'm still here in Chattanooga.
Post a Comment