The other day I watched Grand Canyon, on the recommendation of an acquaintance in New York. I'd wanted to see it year ago when it first came out, and I generally like movies that star Kevin Kline. Anyway, it opens with the Lakers playing at the Forum, and I immediately felt old. It's been years since the Lakers played at the Forum, and even more since Magic played for the Lakers. Maybe I also felt old because Perky was socializing in her room with LA 1st-ers, but that's another story. Anyway, as BFF was
leaving he commented that I really was an LA-movie buff. Which got me thinking about movies set in LA, about the Angelino life. Have comiserated with White Boy and Spork, and came up the following list ...
The Aviator
The Bad News Bears V
Beach Blanket Bingo V
Beverly Hills Cop V
Blade Runner
Boogie Nights
Boyz n the Hood
Bringing Down the House V
Chinatown
City of Angels V
Clueless V R (this is a fun adaptation of Austen's Emma)
Collateral
Crash V R (Although difficult to watch, I thought this movie was brilliant)
Dead Again V R (Thompson and Branaugh, fantastic)
Die Hard V
Dogtown and Z Boys V R (documentary of skateboarding in Venice, I wish I could move like these kids did)
Escape From LA
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Get Shorty
The Graduate V
Grand Canyon V R (sure, it was a nice view)
Grease V R (this was especially fun to see as a re-release ... everyone in the audience sang along. Even better are the Hollywood Bowl Singalongs)
Heat V (I still have to watch the second half)
I Am Sam V
The Island
The Italian Job V
Karate Kid V
LA Confidential
LA Story V R (everytime I visit LACMA I wish I had shoes with hidden skates)
LA Takedown
The Last Action Hero
Laurel Canyon
Lords of Dogtown
Los Angeles Plays Itself
Magnolia
Mulholland Drive
Nick of Time
The Player
Pretty Woman V
Pulp Fiction
Ray V R (Foxx is amazing)
Rebel Without a Cause V
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion V R (don't we all wish we could return triumphant?)
Singing in the Rain V R (one of my favorite movies ... I esp love the opening sequence, Moses Supposes and Make 'Em Laugh)
Speed V
Stand and Deliver V R (an inspirational film)
Star Maps
States of Grace V R (if only to see my cousin onscreen)
Sunset Boulevard
Swingers V
The Terminator V
To Live and Die in LA
Training Day
Valley Girl
Volcano
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
You Got Served V R (the dancing is amazing, even if the acting or plot is not)
Anyway, that's my list for now. I put a V next to ones I've viewed, and an R (with comments) on the ones I recommend. I'm sure there are many more Angelino movies, but my eyes are starting to glaze over. If you've got any to add, I'd love to hear about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment