Work has been really depressing lately. Lots of heme-onc kids with devastating cancers, that have been dying. I've been saying for a couple weeks that we need a happy ending. Well, today I got one.About a month ago, I took care of a 14 year old boy who was waiting for a heart transplant. Previously healthy, but had gotten sick, and had rapidly gotten very sick. He was on a couple of pressors to help his heart pump strong and fast enough throughout his body to keep him living. He was a good kid, and was as patient and good as can be. His mother was absolutely devoted to him, and I really admired her love kindness and good sense. I had him for three days in a row, during which time I bonded with them both, yet could see the decline in his condition.
And then I was off for a couple days. When I returned, I found out that he had gotten so ill that he was moved to the top of the line, and a heart was miraculously made available for him. He had had his transplant, and was now on the cardiothoracic ICU. The sad part was that he had been so ill just before the transplant, that he was having a hard time recovering.
Anyway, fast forward a couple of weeks. I'd been wondering what had happened, but had been too busy to find out the end of the story. Until ysterday. All of a sudden, I saw a tall boy with curly hair standing at the charge nurse desk. He was wearing a mask, but I could tell it was him. Yes, he'd had a remarkable recovery. Had been on the CTICU for a week. Then on the regular nursing floor for a week, and has been at home for two weeks. It was amazing that his recovery was so brief, when it was projected that he would take 4 weeks to get home. He looked healthy and happy, as did his mother. Of course, he can no longer play football, and there are lots of other restrictions, but all this pales compared to the fact that he is so vibrantly alive. It's days like this that make my work so worth it.
It's also worth noting that we were really well staffed today. I was the Rapid Response team member, and Cherry was the admit nurse. So, we were able to help all the nurses who were travelling (to MRI, CT, and radiation) where they needed to be, and everyone got their breaks. With the new RRT trial, it looks like we will be better and better staffed. At least, one can hope.
On a similar note, I finished reading Hospital Ketches by Louisa May Alcott, see Shelfari for my favorite passage. Despite having contracted typhoid during her Civil War nursing service, which treatments with calomel ruined her health, she never regretted having done the valiant work. She amazes me.
1 comment:
Wonderful story!
A question about the Hospital Sketches book, did she talk much about Fredericksburg, VA? We went up to a mansion they used as a hospital during the battles there. I know Lincoln visited and Walt Whitman was a nurse there. Chatham Manor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_Manor
what is the book like and is it a good read?
Post a Comment