Saturday, November 24, 2007

Going Westie

It's been so long since I've blogged anything. And really, I've got tons to blog about, just no time to do it!

However, this past weekend was just spectacular. On Thanksgiving, I went into a spasm of cleaning. Had Thanksgiving lunch with Girl Friday, who cooked a feast of many of my favorite feast-y items.

Friday, I went down to the US Open Swing Dance Championships. First time I've ever gone West Coast swing dancing in California. I still consider myself a lindy-hopper, but I want to blur the edges a little, and incorporate WCS, blues and latin stylings into my lindy. The weekend was absolutely amazing. Although WCS tempos are slower, the stylized movements are much sharper and swankier. Sad thing is that I missed the workshops, since I got such a late start.

Saturday I made it in time for Benji and Heidi's workshop, except that it was moved to the next day. So, I took it easy during Nick and Kristin's slides class. Again, competitions were stunning. And, like yesterday, I got a lot of dances. Met a of leads who dance at the Hacienda and at Sonny Watson's venue in the valley. Who knew there was that much dancing in Reseda? Best was when I got asked to dance by leads I'd been working up the courage to ask. Met a short, young asian guy who has the best hands I've ever danced with.

On Sunday, I took the workshop with B & H. They are fantatic teachers, and focused on good lead and follow technique. Nice to realize that some of the misses on the dance floor were really not my fault. Also great to help the guys learn to do a body lead, instead of arm leads. I really hate arm leads ... they look funny, and they hurt.

Sunday night I stayed for the late night dancing. Stunning to see the top level competitors letting loose on a social dance floor. Yes, I like to see choreographed showcases and dances, but I much prefer to see creative improvisation on the dance floor. I could have watched Todd Yannacone all night (and really, I stayed until 0330, so it was almost like I did). Todd does a really good job at blending lindy and WCS, along with some hiphop influences. Plus, his arm and feet actions are so intricate, that I can never decide which to watch more intently.

At the end of it all, I ended up eating a lot of protein, and using lots of advil and bengay. Hmmm ... very, VERY sore. But oh so worth it. I'm going to have to take a look at my schedule and see where I can fit in trips to Reseda and the Hacienda for more WCS dancing.

Check out the division winners. My favorites were Arjay Centeno, Brandi Tobias, Xavier Young and Todd Yannacone.

No comments: