Friday, September 05, 2008

Tango in the Hall

For weeks I've been planning on going to Los Angeles' Downtown Dance series in Pershing Square. I've never been before, but it's dancing, outdoors, and free. What's not to like?

This week it was Tango, which I've had a yearning to learn ever since my trip to Denver. There, I saw some particularly entrancing tango-inspired blues and lindy. I fell that tango is very similar to blues, in that it's a more mature dance, slower, and there's much more room for play and stretching of the steps. That and a heavily reliance on a body lead.

Sadly, I got a late start. Since it was downtown, and started at 6:30pm, I decided to be green and take the bus. Because really, who wants to battle traffic AND pay $8 for parking? But, I got a late start because I got too caught up in watching the Transformers movie. Total cheese. But visually stunning, and the teenage boy made me laugh. So, I got a bit of a late start. However, I wore my black skirt with the fringe-y bottom, and a black drape necked top with a large red flower pinned to my R shoulder. With my hair partially tied back and my dancing heels, I felt powerful and beautiful. Then I put on my glasses, my dansko sandals, and the black coat I wore all around Paris, and I looked completely different ... perfect for taking public transportation in Los Angeles.

At the bus stop, I saw three buses go by, one just as I crossed the street to the stop. However, I saw a woman talking on her phone, and assumed that the ones that had passed were the express buses that don't stop at my street. When the woman finished her call, I asked, "Esta Ud esperando por el numero cuatro?" She gave a start and we chatted for a bit. She complemented me on my Spanish, and I asked her about her life in the states. Gawande's work at work in me.

It took a long time to get to the Disney Concert Hall, where the dancing and live music was taking place. When I arrived, the main floor was packed! There were talbes set up for a fwe to dine, which were all full, and the dance floor was filled to the edges. I quickly changed into my powerful and beautiful alter-ego, and stowed my things off toward the side of a recessed door. Soon, the teachers called the room to order, and they reviewed the Argentine tango basic. Of course there were more women than men, so I ended up dancing with a gentleman in his early sixties. Not a very good dancer, but his frame was okay, and we both learned something.

Feeling powerful and beautiful, and knowing that there was a shortage of leads, I did ask a number of guys to dance. One guy who I recognized from swing dancing long ago. And one who I didn't know at all, who had a rather geeky flavor, but was actually really fun to dance with. I ended up dancing most of the night with Tango Charlie. He is Tango Charlie because he includes a lot of tango movements in his blues and lindy. We've crossed paths a couple of times over the years, but not enough to actually be really friendly. Anyway, I was friendly tonight, and he ended up showing me a couple of really great moves. I say "showed," because he didn't teach them very well, but then again, that's not his deal. I think that we have never really become friends before because we're both a little too self-conscious to overcome one another's barriers. Now, I hope that I'm getting over myself and will be more open and friendly with everyone.

Also met up with Holly By Golly and her date. And she ended up introducing me to a group of people that were very friendly. I sense a change in the wind. I predict that 2009 will see me doing more salsa and tango. And I'm excited!

By 2130, my feet were hurting. I changed back to my public-transport costume, and went in search of the return bus stop. It was nowhere to be found along Hill Street. I went up and down the block a couple of times, and even asked the driver of a different line. Finally, I ended up back at the metro station perusing the bus line map. Tricky! The line goes one direction on Hill, and the other direction on Broadway! I made it to the bus stop around 2200, just as the correct bus was pulling up. Hurray! Next time I will get info on the going AND coming buses. I was tired by the time I got back to my apartment, but it feels good to be green

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Hurray for taking public transport to fill your dancing fix. I never took public transport in LA, and regret it.