Thursday, September 04, 2008

Dancing Tidbits

Out to Lindy Groove tonight. Saw some other old friends that I missed last week. Got to dance with the guest DJ, David Jacoby from New York. He helps run the Frim Fram. After five bars into our first dance, I instantly regretted not going to FF when I was in New York on my stopover to Morocco. Very bluesy movement, and absolutely dances within the music. Showed me a new move that took me by suprise and delighted me. Later, I didn't feel too badly about missing it the first time, since I caught SK doing exactly the same thing I did. If I can do no more than emmulate SK, I figure I'm doing pretty well. DJ is helping to promote Frankie Manning's 95th birthday celebration in NYC. It might just be worth a trip.

Also saw Gwynn. Talked about WCS, and how most beg/int WCS dancers get too caught up in patterns, and not in just dancing in the moment. We exchanged contact info again. No idea if they will be throwing another Halloween extravaganza, but I really hope they do. At some point, I want to go out to Skinny's in North Hollywood, which I've heard so much about. And at another point, Gwynn wants to come with me to Sonny Watson's place in Reseda. Funnily enough, after deciding that it was a lost cause, she said that she had one of my lead-and-follow dvds to return to me. Hurray!

Finally, I repaid the dollar I owed to the house. Sometime at the beginning of summer, I'd come to LG a dollar short. The tall blond girl who's been manning the front desk was gracious enough to let me through, for which I was extremely grateful. Shortly thereafter, I hurt my knee, and hadn't been there since. When I showed up for eVincerator's birthday last week, I remembered about the dollar, but had no cash on me since I was getting in free for the birthday. I felt about an inch tall. Tonight, as she was counting out my change, I asked her to keep one dollar, since I owed it to the house. She remembered, and smiled and thanked ME for remembering! Turns out I'm not the only one. She recounted a few stories of times when she'd let people in even if t hey were short of cash, and how nearly everyone comes back at sometime or another to make it up. It made me extremely happy that the community of dancers is so honest and supportive of this great thing that Lance has built.

No comments: