on Thursday, but the fair weather practically demanded the ferry trip, and Roseanna had warned me against using her pass on Friday, which is when her roommate uses her half of the pass. So, it was that I ended up getting up to the Cloisters a few minutes before opening, so that I wouldn’t waste any time. The scene was lovely … fall, with golden and crimson leaves carpeting the sidewalks. Couples old and young meadering by completed the scene.



What I loved best aboutThe Cloisters were the gardens … looking so peaceful and
inviting one to sit and contemplate simplicity. Also enjoyed the illuminated sacred texts, especially the small prayer books that I hope were some person’s well-used scriptures. And, I greatly admired the wooden scultped chairs and tableaux ... I feel so much more affinity with things carved from wood than I do with similar things carved from stone, etc. Ended up buying a cd titled, "11,00 Virgins: Chants for the Feast of Saint Ursula." Beautiful, simple and moving music. Slightly lonely, infinitely peaceful, a window of light.
Quickly jaunted over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It’s so enormous, it would take a month of visits to see it all. Breezed through the Egyptian exhibit, then took a look at the Americans in Paris special exhibit. Parisian art has such an air of casual, laissez-faire, joie de vivre. Some wonderful Sargeants (esp Madame X, who rouged her ears for a more sensual look), Cassats, Van Dycks, etc. I am intrigued by portraits that invite the viewer to contemplate the private life of the subject.
Some others I found particularly moving were Ellen Day Hale's Self Portrait,

and Edmund C. Tarbell's Three Sisters

During my last bits of time in NYC, I decided to walk through Central Park. Lovely day. Many dog walkers. Many families and couples strolling around and picnicking. Some sports events. Leaves of all colors and a brisk breeze. Ate some roasted cashews and a hotdog just to complete the picture. I sometimes think that parks in large cities draw the denizens closer together, as solitary backyards in suburbia often provide an excuse to not mingle with others.Made it up to Kevin’s a little later than I’d planned. Changed, finished packing,
straightened up, and left Peter with the keys, Roseanna’s museum card, and
a quick hug.
No comments:
Post a Comment