Thursday, November 09, 2006

NYC Day 2



Up early, beautiful day. Decided to head over to see Lady Liberty and Ellis Island
Gorgeous views of NYC, clear blue skies, Statue of Liberty awesome. Thought of all
those who came over the Atlantic and saw her as a beacon of hope for a better life.




Really enjoyed the Ellis Island Museum. Various ways to represent statistical data quite fun. Ethnic origins of immigrants over time. Ratio of men to women immigrants over time. The American flag display that changes to reflect immigrant faces. Photos of waves of immigrants. Left behind momentos donated to museum from descendants. The Grand Hall.

Confess I fell asleep during the movie. Exhausted.

Got up to MoMA, where Lenin's Son was waiting with a ticket in hand. Must confess that I’m not really a fan of modern art (Mondrian, Marden and such), but I was very interested in seeing the new museum. I especially enjoyed the photography and design exhibits. And, it was a pleasure to see more of Monet’s water lilies, and Van Gough’s Starry Night. I also really enjoyed the store. Lots of cool cooking utensils, office stuff, and knickknacks. Bought some holo postcards, some moonphase calendars, a necklace with squishy pendants, and a wrinkly t-shirt. Was tempted by a pair of kitchen knives, a traditional black bowl umbrella with blue sky underneath, and salt and pepper shakers that wobbled like weebelos, but I restrained myself.


Museum of Biblical Art (MoBIA)– On view were select pages from the
Saint John's Bible: commissioned art … hand calligraphied copy
of the Bible. Strange to see medieval-looking writings alongside very
modern-artish illuminations with gold leaf.

Met Rosebud at the Biltmore theatre. Comedy, “Losing Louie,” starring Mark Linn-Baker from Perfect Strangers. Can it have been that long ago that it was airing, because he now looks really old. Almost felt like that moment when a teenaged patient told me that she’d never even heard of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” as if I was ancient. Lots of sexual innuendo in the play, but interesting.



Walked up Broadway to Gray Papaya for hotdogs. Remembered scene from “You’ve Got Mail.” Ate in park and talked as we waited for Monkster to get off work and meet us. Lots of tips on what to do.



Took subway over to Brooklyn Bridge and walked across. By this time it was very
late,. However, there were only pedestrian lights, and no lights up the cables,
which made for a rather disappointing walk. A few couples, a couple of tourists, and one jogger. And me with my space pen, at the ready to defend myself against anyone foolish enough to accost a woman with a dangerous pen. When I got to the other side, a sign directed me to take the left fork, and go right at the bottom of the stairs to get to the subway station, After I’d gone a few meters, I heard something behind me. I glanced behind me, pen at the ready, and saw what looked like a piece of trash blowing in the wind. However, there was no wind under the bridge. I looked again, and it was a gray rat scurrying across the sidewalk for the relative safety of the brush.
This made me take a better look at my path, which was going to lead me through a dark, isolated, and perfectly peopleless park. This was far too much for my imagination to handle, so I turned around and retraced my steps, wishing good hunting to the kitty that was now stalking the brush. I continued on the lit path following the road, feeling very much like I was a progressing pilgrim. And low and behold, I soon saw the subway station beckoning to me on my left. Except that the barricade was topped with a pointy metal fence, with rather too much traffic whizzing by, even at 0230 in the morning, with a rather too far drop. And so I agonizingly continued on
the path, until it sternly released me to my own recognizance.Was really relieved to arrive at Monkster's, baby callouses and all.

No comments: