Friday, August 15, 2008

Lazy Day

Yes, it's been a while since the last post, and may be even longer until the next. But today has been a lazy day, and it seems fitting to write a little something.

Slept in.

Started mocking up a post for The Exponent on a new style of parenting that I've observed recently.

Watched a movie. A dance movie. Now that SYTYCD is over for the summer, life is a little bland. Then again, Adam Shankman is working on Step Up III, which Joshua will feature in.

Paid bills.

Talked with JLITH about getting a new phone service. I hate talking on the phone. Maybe it's my ridiculous, outdated and freebie phone that's the problem. Maybe it's the network. Whatever, I can never seem to keep enough bars when talking to make the effort worthwhile.

Watched Randy Pausch's speech from the Last Lecture series at Carnegie Mellon, titled, Achieving Your Childhood Dreams. Inspiring. I want to live my life with as much zest as he has.

Decided that a little activity was in order. I've been largely inactive after banging my knee up doing a little indoor skydiving (in a vertical windtunnel!) in Ogden for JLITH's birthday. Sadly, I'd miscalculated the Fridays, and it was the third, not the second, making a trip to The Juke out of the question. And the knee really isn't ready for any lindy just yet. So, I consoled myself the best way I know how. I printed out a coupon from Border's and walked up for some bibliotherapy.

I went directly to the health and science area. I found Gawande's
Better, but was also seduced by Turin's Perfumes: The Guide, and The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat.

If I could meet any contemporary authors, I would love to meet Gawande, Turin, Roach and Coelho.

Gawande is a master at splicing out the thoughts and fears or the medical profession, and making one feel absolutely present in the moment.

Turin has an exquisite facility with words that delights and discourages me. Not to mention his academic career in the sciences. I read through the intro, and skimmed through the rest. He already agree with me that Angel is one of the great fragrances. And this year, I would like to get whiffs of the following: Love 100% (S-Perfume), A*Men (Thierry Mugler), Badgeley Mischka, Borneo 1834 (Serge Lutens), Calyx, cK One, Envy (Gucci?), Lolita Lempicka, Osanthe Yunnan, Pleasures (Lauder), Safran Troublant (L'Artisan Pafumeur), Tocade (Rochas), Vanilia (L'Artisan Parfumeur), Youth Dew (Lauder), and Lime Basil and Mandarin Cologne (Jo Malone).

Roach writes about science in such a side-splittingly funny and informative way.

And Coelho, who wrote By The River Piedra, one of my favorite books ever since Perfectly Perky introduced it to me. Every time I see a used book store, I peek to see if they have a hard copy of it ... somehow the new paperbacks covers seem so soulless compared to the richness within.

However, after flirting with the three books I plucked from the shelves, I only came home with Gawande. And with him, I will retire for the evening. Good night.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I finished the last lecture on the Day he dies. Pretty thematic. Do we get to see pictures or video of your indoor skydiving? Nice to know your blog still works btw.

Renee said...

Love the update...I'm having a similarly lazy day, trying to survive the 103 degree weather...miss you!

John White said...

I have A*Men. Let me know when you're down, and I'll make an effort to bring you a sample.